Correction…On the Tracks Again. Today I started my 25 hour train journey to Termoli. Two hours from Wabern to Frankfurt and then my first sleeper train from Frankfurt to Milano. I was a little leery of traveling by myself but know that I would be sharing a cabin with ladies only calmed my nerves as well as knowing that people I loved were praying for me. “Squillos” from Patti let me know that she was thinking of me. As I boarded the train, a tall friendly black man showed me to my cabin. Two beds down but only one water bottle. I was on my own. There’s nothing like paying to sleep in a cabin of 4 and to have it all to oneself. I was surprised at the cleanliness, comfort and class of the cabin. It was like a mini hotel room minus the private toilet. The pictures will show the rest. I was happy that we decided to splurge on a sleeper cabin and that I didn’t have to sleep in a chair seeing that I was on my own and that I would be traveling for a 25 hour period. To my surprise, at 5:30 am, I was awoken by a light tap on the door, fresh coffee and breakfast. “Nein danke, I don’t want to buy anything.” I had packed granola and an apple. The reply: “There’s no charge. Breakfast is included.” This train rocks! Free breakfast! Lunch- granola and an apple.
During the next 2 hour train ride, I listened to my first audio book and I’m hooked. Childhood memories of being read to came back. One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, old fish, new fish… There’s just something about sitting in your dad’s lap being read to. Although Joyce Meyers, “Battle of the Mind” is a completely different style of book and I was certainly not sitting in my dad’s lap, it was comforting nonetheless. My “reading” was interrupted by an important announcement: Arresto seguente Torino Puorta Nuova. That’s my stop! I excitedly stuffed my iPod in my over-packed Canadian flag-bearing backpack and headed to the exit. Finally, I would be realizing the little girl’s dream inside of me- being in Italy with my Grandma. Minutes later, I was greeted with kisses from my mom, dad, grandma and of course Zio Mimmo and Zia Teresa. It was SO good to together. We picked up a few espressos and sat in a cafĂ© while we waited for our train to Termoli. That’s right, so far I had only traveled 16 hours, 9 more to go. Grandma spend her last few hours with her youngest sibling Teresa reminiscing about the “old days” not necessarily the time they spent together since Teresa was only a baby when my grandma to Canada. As we boarded the train after more hugs and kisses, the tear ducts starting working in overdrive. First my grandma, then Teresa, followed by my mom and finally me. The men help themselves together but we all know Italian men are softies at heart, even those super macho Italian stallions. The reality is my grandma will probably never see her little sister again. Sad. The thought of having to say goodbye to my brother for the last time in person was all it took for me to not be able to control my ducts. It was a lost cost. I did my best to capture the moment through tear filled eyes. This trip was already worth the 16 hour train trip. I was sure that the next 9 hours to Termoli would also be more than worth it.
Mom wasn’t too impressed with having to pay to use the washroom especially at 80 EURO cents a pop (or should I say poop or pee?). So we used a traveling tourist tip: Line up one close behind the other, pay and push through. 40 cents a pee isn’t so bad.

No comments:
Post a Comment