Monday our second guest arrived before our first left. My girlfriend Christine from the good ol’ rez days arrived from Amsterdam. It hadn’t been so long since we saw each other but again, good to see Canadian friends especially when away from Canadian soil. So with Nick and Christine, we gave the tour we gave Dennis and Liane- up the tallest standing lookout tower left in Germany, Grauer Turm. Yup- it’s in our very own Fritzlar.
After paying the 45 cent entrance fee (they hiked the price the price 20 cents since October), we luckily received the key from the nice old man tending the gate even though the tower is technically closed Mondays and started our climb up. I wonder now how many stairs there are. I’ve been up 4 times now and have never counted. I’m going up again in June with my parents. I’ll count then. I wonder if they sell a year pass? I’m sure the discount would only be a cent or two. Anyways, we reached the top and looked over not only the town of Fritzlar peaked by St. Petri Dom but all of the surrounding towns. I have always admired the view from up here but this time it was different. The canola fields were in bloom and you saw what was like a gold and green checkerboard in the distance. Beautiful. I admired the canola fields on the way to and from Bremen this weekend wanting to go and take pictures, but we never got the chance. Christine was just as impressed with the view remembering that the canola blooms in July back home in Alberta. July in April…it’d sure be nice. It was nice! I am realizing how hard the Edmonton winter is going to be this year. Not looking forward to it. So Christine and I started planning for tomorrow. On the list of things to do: walk to the canola fields, pick stinging nettle on the way back, make nettle soup, hit up the bakery, brew some tea and paint. I was looking forward to it already.Monday, April 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment